The familiar foods named for Helen Porter Mitchell are not recognizable as such unless one knows her stage name was Dame Nellie Melba. This famous opera singer of the late 19th and early 20th century, who took her last name from her native city of Melbourne, inspired others to honor her by naming things such as “soaps and sauces, ribbons and ruffles” after her. Perhaps the best known of such honors are Melba toast and peach Melba. Auguste Escoffier, the famous chef, is thought to have had a hand in both. Melba toast is said to be derived from the crisp toast that was part of Dame Melba's diet during the year 1897, a year in which she was very ill. The hotel proprietor César Ritz supposedly named it in a conversation with Escoffier. Pêche Melba was said to have been created by Escoffier for an 1892 party honoring the singer at the Savoy Hotel in London, although neither Escoffier nor Melba agreed with this version of events. Peach Melba is first recorded in English in 1905 (in the form Pêches à la Melba) and Melba toast in 1925.
The American Heritage Dictonary of the English Language: Fourth Edition.
So there's your fun fact for the day, cool cats and chilly kittens.
Dear Buffy Season 7,
I don't even know what to say to you. I thought I knew who you were, once, but I guess you've changed. Why you gotta be wastin' my flava?
No love and much resentment,
Dear Marti Noxon,
Please, step away from your weird rape issues, and put the keyboard down.
Concern for your mental health,
It seems as though it has been years since I wrote anything that was not academic in nature. This is displeasing to me. And so now, in this space where I used to offer stories, I offer now, only memes.
Remember, estrella30 and musesfool: I yoink because I love.
Meme the first: 1. Comment with any subject that you would like me to rant on, with possible swearing involved. any subject - I don't even have to agree with it. (swearing is probable)
2. Watch my journal for your rant.
3. Post this in your own journal, so that you may rant for others.
Meme the second: Tell me something about you. Favorite character. Favorite food. Something funny you do. Whatever you like. Just make it something that gives me a sense of who you are.
There's no pressure to participate, of course. If you'd rather just lurk, that's fine, too. But if you feel like coming out of the woodwork, I'd love to hear from you!
Here are some me-things:
1.. I do all of my best thinking in the shower. Consequently, I have been known to shower three times a day during the end of the semester.
2. I hate getting any kind of food on my finger tips, and so I don't particularly like Cheetos or Doritos or anything like that. I just think about the fact that no matter how many times I pull out my trusty hand sanitizer stuff, when I lick my fingers, there's going to be stuff on them that I don't neccesarily want to lick. Particularly if I've been in the subway or something.
3. I secretly believe that wearing earrings is what makes me able to face the day. Maybe not so secretly anymore, actually, seeing as how I'm posting it in your LJ. Hmm.
4. I used to have anxiety dreams about leg hair, and wake up in the middle of the night and have to shave immediately. I've gotten over that.
5. I love all those vegetables that people are supposed to hate and despise: brussels sprouts, lima beans, spinach, broccoli. Love 'em. I won't, though, eat meatloaf. Under any circumstances. I also have a hate on for rice.